2024 Training Opportunities
Phoenix- Annual Disaster Relief Training
January 12-13, 2024
Yuma- Regional Disaster Relief Training
January 19-20, 2024
Kingman- Regional Disaster Relief Training
February 2-3, 2024
Cochise- Regional Disaster Relief Training
February 9-10, 2024
Tucson- Regional Disaster Relief Training
March 8-9, 2024
Looking to Serve?
Are you a "hands-on" type person who loves helping others? If you are interested in finding a way to serve the Lord On Mission, Arizona Southern Baptist Disaster Relief might be a ministry that could fill that desire. Helping prepare meals for hurricane survivors, removing flood-damaged walls and flooring from homes, manning a shower/laundry unit serving Disaster Relief volunteers or first responders and praying with homeowners while assessing the level of damage to their home are all examples of ways volunteers can be On Mission with Disaster Relief.
Individuals who are active members of a local Southern Baptist Church, in good physical condition and at least 18 years of age may attend training and join our Disaster Relief team. When a request for assistance comes to Arizona Disaster Relief, individual team members will be contacted to check on their availability for deployment.
How To Begin
Here are the steps to follow to become a volunteer with Arizona Disaster Relief
- Complete The Arizona Disaster Relief Volunteer Information Form
- You will receive a link to pay ($10.00) for the online course "Involving Southern Baptists in Disaster Relief." This is our introductory class, and is required for all volunteers. The class is made up of 4 videos and a quiz. Questions for the quiz come from the videos, as well as the downloadable training materials.
- After taking the Intro class, we will contact you and send you a link to complete your background check (required for all volunteers).
- Once you have completed the above steps you will be able to purchase a cap and shirts.
- Prepare a Go Bag, so you are ready to deploy as needs arise.
- Look for opportunities to do advanced training to be equipped to serve with one of our Arizona Disaster Relief Teams. Class descriptions are found below.
- Encourage other individuals from your church to serve with you in Arizona Disaster Relief.
Our most popular and often most needed call out following a disaster.
In this course learn about feeding operations to ensure the safe storage, handling, preparation and distribution of food to disaster victims and workers. Nothing in the manual is to be construed as overriding state and local laws and regulations, nor are the guidelines designed to replace appropriate procedures currently being used in state disaster relief training.
Chainsaw Safety provides a brief overview of the safe operation of a chainsaw team. As with any equipment, the operator should seek to gain as much knowledge and skill as possible about operating a chainsaw. Operating a saw at home is much different than around a team of people. Safety is critical for the safe operation of all involved.
This course teaches safety and work procedures in home clean-up after a flood/hurricane or fire.
Shower/Laundry training gives an overview of the procedures that we have in place to provide clean showers and laundry for disaster survivors as well as volunteers aiding in the disaster response. This course is also an orientation to the equipment we have in providing these services.
Driver Training is required for everyone who transports people or equipment in a call out. It equips our volunteers to care for and transport equipment safely and efficiently.
Damage assessors visit homes affected by disasters and make first contact with the homeowner(s). They make notes about the needs of the location, minister to the families, assess damage, complete the property owners request for assistance assessment form and report back their findings.
*Two-day training, You must hold a current DR badge to attend.
Chaplains provide spiritual care to those affected by a disaster which includes, but not limited to, survivors, family members and our own volunteers.